about us | links | permit info
Subscribe to Hiking With My Brother Email Subscribe Follow Hiking With My Brother on Facebook Follow Hiking With My Brother on Twitter Hiking With My Brother Picasa Hiking With My Brother YouTube

Old Sauk River Trail #728

Our Hiking Time: 2h 30m
Total Ascent: 100ft
Highest Point: 800ft
Total Distance: 6 miles
Location: N 47° 12.9060, W 121° 33.5760
Required Permit: None
Difficulty: Easy

Nathan's PhotoEach year as the temperatures drop and the weather becomes less enticing, we start to search out hikes that are a bit more “winter friendly.” With this in mind, we recently headed up to the Darrington area for a short riverside hike along the Old Sauk Trail. Easily accessible and almost entirely flat, the trail seemed ideal for a short hike during the winter months.


old sauk river hikingwithmybrotherWe did not run into anyone along this trail, but that may change because the Washington Trail Association has been doing a lot of work on the Old Sauk Trail, updating the main trailhead and repairing trail damage from recent floods. Work is also being done to create a trailhead roughly half-way between the two ends of the current trail. Already a new trail is in the process of being cut from the Mountain Loop Highway to the river. Increased access should mean that the Old Sauk Trail will see more use in the future.

There's a lot more to Old Sauk River, and you can learn all about it in our book, Hiking Through History Washington.  You'll find a trail map, route descriptions, history, and more for this and many more hikes throughout the State.  Help support hikingwithmybrother.com and the work we do by picking up a copy!

To get there, take I-5 north to Exit 208 and drive east on SR 530 to Darrington. Follow the signs to the Mountain Loop Highway, heading south out of town. After four miles, find the signed Old Sauk River trailhead on your left. -Nathan

Print Google Directions >>

Old Sauk River

5 Comments:



Rachelle Q said...

What type of camera do you use when hiking? I use my phone just because it's small and I always have it with me. Of course my pics don't always turn out great and the zoom is terrible. I want the pictures to look better for my hiking blog.



Jer said...

Hi hiker mom,

We've got a couple of Nikon DSLRs; a D60 and a D7000. A great way to perk up your photos is to edit them on your PC. Try using Picasa. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button can work magic.

Keep blogging, you're doing great!

Jer



Rachelle Q said...

Thanks!



Nathan said...

How do you get that copyright info on all your photos? Do you use photoshop and a batch process?



Nathan said...

Thanks Jer!

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2016 - hikingwithmybrother.com
hikingwithmybrother@gmail.com